Monday, July 30, 2012

No slip bow



First of all I'd like to say that no, this post does not mean that baby Meyer is a girl. Actually, at our 18 week appointment baby decided to play hide & seek so we still don't know the gender! We're hoping to find out at our next appointment which will be at 22 weeks. 

But in the mean time I have been making these bow hair clips as gifts... since I'm pretty convinced that my baby is a boy. {I don't know why... it's just in my brain. Maybe because I know about 8 other girls pregnant with boys right now!}

I found the original tutorial here {at make-it-love-it... great blog!} and changed just a few things. She uses drawer liners to make a non-slip gripper on the hair clips which worked great! 

Supplies
Hot glue gun
Ribbon
Hair Clips
Lighter
Scissors
Non-slip grip material



The original post recommends drawer liner, but I couldn't find any less than $10 and I knew I'd only need a little bit, so I got this set of 4 gripper pads at the dollar tree for $1. I only used about a half of one to make over 20 clips. I also got my clips at Sallys.  

First, start by cutting your outer ribbon into 4 inch strips {depending on the size of your clips}. Singe the edges of the ribbon to prevent fraying. 
Next, follow instructions below: 
For the bows, I made 2 different types. I can't decide which one I like better. See below for tutorials on both styles of bows!

For the layered look: 


For the criss-crossed look:

When you're all done, it's time to add the no-slip grip material. The original tutorial had you glue a piece of felt to the back side of the gripper before gluing it to the clip, but for some reason I didn't do that {I think I forgot}. I just glued the gripper it straight onto the clip and it turned out just fine, but I may try the felt sometime in the future. 
 I had so much cute ribbon in my stash that I made a bunch!! They were so simple & look great! 


 Some of the layered bows I just did one layer of ribbon instead of two {see the ones on the right} and I love them both! 

 I also used some of this glittery ribbon from Michaels, although I would only suggest this kind for an older girl since babies can have such sensitive little heads. 
Now, I really need to find some cute boy accessories to make if baby M is a boy!! Send any ideas my way because I have scowered pinterest with no luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment